Saturday, February 28, 2009

Thing 8 - Communicating Web 2.0 Style

I use email all the time at work. Sometimes it seems like I don't do much else all day except read and respond to email. I don't travel much (see below), but when I return to work from being off for a week (often with an intestinal upset -- the details of which I will not describe), I spend at least the first half of the day dealing with my inbox. I don't know how we managed to do our jobs before email, when we had to get up out of our chairs and go to talk to a person, but I know I was much slimmer then. (You should have seen me before TV remotes were invented.)

Sometimes someone at work will email something rather inflamatory to a group and the various group members will shoot off several emails back and forth, ccing and bccing, and before you know it the Systems people will be telling us that we've exceeded the allowable size of our mailboxes. I always get a chuckle out of that. When it gets really bad, my supervisor will send an email to everyone telling them to stop emailing and he'll call a meeting instead. I always hate that. It means getting up from my desk and walking somewhere.

While I email alot, I'm not an active text (or instant) messager. I have conducted Ask-A-Librarian sessions before moving to a job "off desk." This was a forced move. (More to follow.) I just finished chatting with NEFLIN who was very friendly and upbeat. Thanks NEFLIN.

I've attended several webinars - both one-way and two-way - in the course of my job. It's nice not to have to travel to attend these. As part of this assignment I went to the Opal archives and listened to part of "Finding Travel Information and Make Reservations Online" presented by Tom Peters. You might think it's ironic that I chose a webinar on travel when I don't really like to travel. I do too.

The webinar was written in 11/05 and presented in 1/06 and was somewhat dated. For example, Tom didn't mention such travel search engines as kayak.com, which is a great site for travel information. I like travel information, I just don't like to travel.

Your friend ferd.

No comments:

Post a Comment