Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thing 5 - Flickr

Ever since the fire in '59 I've been a little camera shy.


So I don't know about creating my own Flickr account. I'll think about it.

But in the meantime, I did the required reading and exploring and found some amazing images.
Phil Nesmith http://www.flickr.com/photos/visualadventure/
This is what I'm talking about!

Sexecutioner's photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/sexecutioner/

jim_moore's photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/filtre/

[Fruit bat claws - Sri Lanka]

While blogs might not have helped me learn more about the care and feeding of bats, Flickr has certainly kept me entertained. Obsessed, almost.

How might I use Flickr in my library?

Sometimes I come across some disturbing stains in the library. I know I'm not the only one bothered. Other staff are. I see them wrinkle their noses as they descend the stairs to the Circ. desk before opening. They've spotted the mark just to the left of the landing. It's been there for some time now. But it still disturbs.

A member of the Board of Trustees just the other night commented on a dark, slippery area in the alcove. We put up a safety cone.

And the spot in front of the PlayAway display - - it never dries.

I think we could use Flickr to document these stains. We could post them on the staff Intranet to alert other, less observant staff.

Or, because the young adults who visit us often seem to be looking for something to do, perhaps we could create a Stain Scavenger Hunt.

Teams of Youth Flickr Groups, wielding digital cameras, would be formed to search out various areas of the library that have been violated. As the group came upon a spot described on the list, they would snap a picture. At a predetermined time all teams would meet in front of the Reference desk to upload their photos to their Flickr accounts and share them amongst the teams. The team with the most stains correctly documented would win. Pizza and Coke would then be served.

Boy, this 23 Things has certainly gotten me thinking outside the box.
Your friend ferd

No comments:

Post a Comment